UNICEF’s Evaluation Office in partnership with UNECA and CLEAR-AA is conducting a modular online training on “Recovering from COVID-19 – Embedding Evaluation in VNRs”. The training aims to support countries to embed evaluation in their 2021 Voluntary National Reviews, and to develop a roadmap towards country-led evaluations. It is attended by representatives from African countries presenting their Voluntary National Reviews in 2021, representatives from the United Nations, and other partners’ representatives.
3-Day Core Training
By the end of the core training, participants from African countries
- realize the importance of Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs) in the broad frame of the 2030 Agenda, which talks of country-led evaluations with follow-up and review processes, and the 2063 Agenda;
- understand the importance of evidence-based VNRs that include evidence from evaluations including country-led evaluations as well as disaggregated data;
- understand the relevance of scaling up evidence from evaluations to inform countries’ post-COVID recovery process, as a means to accelerate progress towards the SDGs.
- Presentation of core training from 21–23 July 2020
- Guide on Embedding Evaluation in VNRs in Africa: EN | FR | PT | ES
- Ian Goldman et al., The emergence of government evaluation systems in Africa: The case of Benin, Uganda and South Africa, African Evaluation Journal 6(1), a253.
- EVALSDGs Briefing 11 – From monitoring goals to systems-informed evaluation
Training on Rapid Evaluations
The objectives of the one-day training on rapid evaluations were:
- Participants understand the difference between rapid and traditional evaluations, and have identified the purpose and evaluation questions for a rapid evaluation they could conduct to contribute to their VNR.
- Participants have discussed issues arising in taking forward their VNR, in embedding evaluations within the VNR, and had feedback from peers, UNICEF and CLEAR- AA.
- Guideline: How to undertake Rapid Evaluations: EN | FR
- Presentation of training on rapid evaluations: EN | FR
Training on Evaluation Synthesis
The objectives of the one-day training on evaluation synthesis were:
- Participants understand what evaluation synthesis is, how it differs from other synthesis, when and how to use it.
- Participants gain insights on how to use synthesis evaluations in the VNRs.
Training on Evaluative Workshops
The objectives of the one-day training on evaluative workshops were:
- Participants understand how to organize an evaluative workshop, and have identified how they would organise such a evaluative workshop which could contribute to their VNR.
- Participants have discussed issues arising in taking forward their VNR, in embedding evaluations within the VNR, and had feedback from peers, UNICEF and CLEAR-AA.