From 2000-2015, the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) focused global efforts and spurred progress towards achievement of human development goals around the world. Much has been achieved, but a key criticism of the MDGs was that there was insufficient attention paid to generating evidence on achievements and learning from challenges.
In September 2015, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were adopted by world leaders. Progress towards “The world we want” – the headline of the SDGs extensive consultative process – requires efforts at every level to turn aspirations into realities. The SDGs have a strong emphasis on each national government defining and measuring their own objectives and targets. Evaluation practice provides a means to raise the voice of stakeholders and local people in SDG initiatives. It helps to measure and demonstrate achievement and challenges, ultimately contributing to improved accountability and decision-making, stronger leadership, as well as learning and innovation.
EvalPartners has established EVALSDGs in response to the need to embed effective monitoring and evaluation in the SDGs. EVALSDGs aims to form a strong evaluation partnership to inform, support, measure and assess development efforts around the SDGs. As a network of interested and skilled policy makers, institutions and practitioners who advocate for the evaluability of the performance indicators of the new SDGs, EVALSDGs can add value to both the evaluation sector and to the SDG implementation and review processes.
EVALSDGs seeks to:
- Promote evaluation activities around the SDGs
- Orient and support the review and follow-up process on the SDG Agenda2030 by adding value through evaluation
- Contribute to create an enabling environment for evaluation relevant to the SDGs
- Provide a platform for dialogue, advocacy and knowledge generation in relation to evaluation and the SDGs
- Assist in strengthening the institutional capacities of evaluators to conduct evaluations in support of SDG implementation and review processes
- Support national initiatives to build evaluation initiatives in relation to national planning and SDGs implementation
- Foster inter-linkages and interaction between initiatives to strengthen evaluation and implement and review the SDGs
HOW WE WORK?
EVALSDGs is organized around the following working groups:
- Management group – overall planning and organization
- Guidance/training group – evaluation community and national evaluation capacity development
- Advocacy brief group – publications and advocacy opportunities for evaluation and the SDGs; Partnership with IIED and other organizations
- Case studies/spotlights group – systematization of experiences and good practices in evaluation related to the SDGs
- Communications/knowledge sharing – web platform and social media